A Significant Day

I'm convinced that, like masters of any other profession, if we're disciples of Jesus Christ, we need mentors. Today wouldn't have necessarily seemed that special on the surface level. But going into it, I had made plans to get together with two guys whom the Lord has used in significant ways. 

My mentor, Tom Foley, who I've known now for the last 10 years, was visiting Zagreb from the States. Throughout 2020 and 2021 he didn't visit as much as he had in the past so I've begun looking forward to these face-to-face visits even more. There's always the potential that he'll ask a tough question. Tonight it was a softball, "So what are you reading in the Bible these days?" But it could have just as easily been, "How are you and Petra doing?" or "How's your relationship with the Lord?" The questions themselves aren't tough. But he knows how to help me dig into territory that may not be addressed much. Everything's on the table.

Tom and Jeremy in Hungary 2020


Earlier in the day I got together with Tomislav, a guy who I began mentoring soon after we came to Zagreb. He's become a good friend and a young leader in our church. 

Jeremy and Tomislav in Croatia 2020



Tomislav is the sort of guy who will come to others who are older and have more experience, pick their brain and ask for advice. He's open, genuine and transparent - characteristics that have helped him grow to be more and more like Christ. 

I'm so grateful to be in the middle of these two generations. It may not seem like a big deal, but it took several years of living in Croatia to find a guy like either of these two. The lack of having a mentor and having someone to share my experience with was a huge motivator in my drive to learn what it means to make disciples of Jesus Christ in Croatia. 

In the end, that wasn't merely an academic exercise. It's one I've been learning about "on the job". Tom and Tomislav have been a huge part of that. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment