Skip to main content

Two Significant Sundays

It's not my responsibility to make disciples of Jesus Christ. Rather, it's my responsibility to join the Church in her efforts to make disciples of Jesus Christ. In other words, it was never Jesus' intention that we would make disciples by ourselves. The original commission on the hill in Galilee was to all eleven gathered in front of Jesus. 

This is one of the reasons why your partnership with us is so important to what we do in Zagreb. It may go without saying, but Petra and I would not be able to devote full-time work to the local church, camps and the seminary if we had other jobs. Unlike the situation at many similar institutions in the U.S., the local church and seminary are still not in a position to pay us. This is simply the way things are in a country where evangelical denominations make up less than 1% of the population.

Another reason why I emphasize the role of the whole Church in making disciples though is because over the last two Sundays, we witnessed significant events in the lives of two young men who have become close friends. 

I met Tomislav in 2017 as a young Christian when a mutual friend asked me if I could mentor him. Tomislav didn't yet have a church home but soon after our friendship began he started attending Stijena spasenja (Rock of Salvation), the local church where Petra and I serve. Tomislav got plugged in immediately, eventually leading our youth and just last Sunday being ordained as a deacon. 

Tomislav becomes a deacon at Stijena Spasenja on June 9th

Tomislav has grown into a mature disciple whom God has used to mentor others. Our relationship has turned into a deep friendship. 


Jeremy together with his mentor Tom and Tomislav on a hike in Hungary 

Last fall, Tomislav asked if I'd be willing to mentor a young college student named Luka. He had been coming to our church off and on for more than a year but had recently become more serious about his faith. He's dedicated himself to the Lord and wanted to get baptized and become of member of Rock of Salvation. 

Over the last 6 months or so Luka and I have been meeting regularly, going through Sinclair Ferguson's The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction which has been translated into Croatian. Luka's also been attending worship services, youth group meetings and Intervarsity events. Several of his close friends have been instrumental to his maturity in the Lord. It's beautiful to witness the way the whole church is involved in the disciple making process. Luka was baptized the Sunday before Tomislav became a deacon. 

So, whether it's through prayer, financial contributions, sending an encouraging email or simply your friendship, we are so thankful for your partnership. You are indeed part of building the Kingdom of God in Croatia. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep It Going

I flew into Buffalo, NY late Saturday night and drove with my parents to a skilled nursing facility where my grandparents live. I had come to the States for one reason - to join the celebration of my grandparents' 70th anniversary. It had been a last-minute decision, so it came as a surprise to my grandparents. As I sat with my grandmother while the others were preparing for the party, I asked her if she had any advice for those of us with less experience. "Keep it going," she said simply. Then a few minutes later I overheard a conversation my grandfather was having with one of the guests. Upon learning that they were celebrating their 40th anniversary on the same day, he said "Keep it going." Hearing the same words from the two people who have kept it going for 70 years made an impression on me. In fact, the more I thought about the message I realised there were two very important implications. First was the obvious one: commitment. In our 10 years of...

Love and Marriage

We often pray that God gives us discernment and guidance as we try to figure out what parts of our ministry to let go of and what possible new things He wants us to be involved in. One of our biggest prayers is that no part of our work ever exists because of tradition or because of our own desire or need for it. We aim to work in accordance to His will. Family and marriage ministry is not something either of us really considered much when we first started working here but God has really been leading us and it is increasingly becoming a bigger part of our work. As we mentioned in previous newsletters, we began a couples small group. We are now privileged to be just one of the almost 30 small groups that meet all over Croatia in affiliation with the organization ‘Family Life’. The Croatian ‘Family Life’ team has been a huge help and blessing to our marriage and family ministries. Together we were able to organize a one-day marriage seminar in October that 17 couples attended. The re...

2015: A Look Back

Jeremy here. 2015 was an incredible year for us. Petra and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. We taught a lot, traveled more than usual and were challenged in many areas of our lives. Here are a few of the highlights. Camps This year marked 10 years since my first camp experience in Orahovica. Although camps have been a constant, a lot has changed over that time. The building has been 99% renovated, there are more campers now than ever before and Petra and I have accepted full responsibility for hosting and coordinating camps. Each camp is different and every year brings new and varying challenges. Camp Orahovica at night All you need to do is scroll down to the next post to read more about the first three weeks of camp season which includes two kids camps and Young Adult Camp.  If there's a climax of camp season it's Teen Camp because of the added challenges but also added satisfaction of seeing teenagers' lives changed. During Teen Camp, the teenagers volu...